Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mixed Media Smackdown Challenge *** Flying Unicorn ***

This month at the Flying Unicorn we have been featuring a number of Back To School tutorials teaching new techniques and different ways to use your scrappy supplies.  When I saw Monica's Mixed Media Smackdown challenge I couldn't wait to play along.  Unfortunately it took until the end of the month for me to find time to get it done (I painted the watercolor paper with gesso about 10 days ago, set it aside to dry and forgot about it!), but here is my layout for inspiration.



This is a layout of my second son, Brennan, on the swing in the backyard when he was a baby.  He was sure a darling, but this was his trademark pouty moue.

I started off by coating watercolor paper with gesso.  Once it was dry (very, very dry LOL) I applied Distress Ink in Festive Berries, Mowed Lawn and Squeezed Lemonade, all available from the Flying Unicorn Store and smeared it while it was still wet with a baby wipe to give it some added dimension.  The stamping around the edges is a set of Dylusions stamps colored with a white poster pen.  I then applied molding paste through a Donna Downey Prima mask, also available from the store and set the whole thing aside to dry while I fussy cut my stamped "Adore" title and coated it with Rock Candy Distress Stickles.  And voila!

Here is a closeup of the molding paste.


I hope you have a great weekend!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: