Friday, January 11, 2013

Down by the river mini album *** Flying Unicorn ***

This month's Flying Unicorn Kit of the Month OTP is a lidded box containing a mini album.  Minis aren't usually my thing, but I knew just what I wanted to do with it.  Each year my dad and stepmom take all the grandkids and their parents to breakfast with Santa at their yacht club.  This year my stepmom had to be rushed to hospital the night before the breakfast for a suspected heart attack (luckily it wasn't!), and we took the kids and their cousins out on the dyke.  It was a beautiful day and the river made the perfect backdrop for some family photos.  I gifted the mini and box to her for Christmas.


I covered the inside and outside of the box with Pion Design papers from the Studio of Memories line.  The piece with the frame and the songbird is my all-time favorite piece of theirs and I have used it in several different projects.  This time I fussy cut the bird and placed it inside the frame, on top of the flowers I created with molding paste, a Prima Poppies and Peonies mask, glitter and Tattered Angels mist in Partridge in a Peartree (my go-to brown).  To tie everything together and give it a shabby chic look I painted all the seams and edges of the box with off-white acrylic paint.


The kit came with a stack of gorgeous 6X6 Magnolia Something Old, Something New papers which I used as the background for my covers and interior pages.  I cut the steering wheel (okay, so it's a Tim Holtz gear die, but I think it does a decent job as a stand-in for a nautical steering wheel) from some leftover cork from the December Kit of the Month, which I dabbed with gesso and the Inka-Gold in Steel Blue and Gold that was included in the kit.  I also touched the seagull's wings with the gold.


I paired the Magnolia papers with scraps of Iron Orchid Designs paper I had left over from the December kit - it truly is good to the last drop.  The flowers are fussy cut from the Pion papers, and the grass clusters are Dusty Attic.

Aren't my boys (young and older) handsome?!?


Here are the rest of the interior pages:








 To achieve the worn look on the FabScraps Hot Air Balloon I applied Stampendous Aged Embossing Powder in Ivory and Aqua, then sprayed Lindy's Moonshadown Mist in Buccaneer Bay Blue and heated it up to dry it into the embossing powder.

 And one last look at the closed box.


I hope you get some scrapping time in this weekend.  I have been so slammed at work that I'm exhausted and suffering from scrappy withdrawal!  Luckily my February Flying Unicorn kit is here, so it's time to get busy creating before sneaks start in the forums on the 24th!

No comments: