Monday, January 21, 2013

Winterizing Craftsman Papers *** Flying Unicorn Mojo Monday ***

This week it was my turn to provide the inspiration layout for the Mojo Monday sketch in the Flying Unicorn Forums.  Creative Team member Adrienne's January challenge calls for creating a winter layout incorporating at least one non-winter themed item, and it just seemed perfect to marry the two together.


Here is the lovely Mojo Monday sketch from CT member Tammy Henderson.


I had a lot of fun creating this.  I started with Prima Craftsman Architect, Draftsman and Engineer papers (definitely NOT winter-themed!) and distressed and punched the edges.  I wanted to use the negative image of my Crafter's Workshop Winter Wonderland mask, so I dabbed Gesso onto the mask and then used it as a stamp on my background; once it was dry I outlined the snowflakes through the mask to tie them in to the sketch lines on the paper.  The photo mat is Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Salty Ocean over white cardstock.  I edged all my papers in gesso and black marker to tie the layers together and sprayed my background layer with Dylusions in Postbox Red and Shimmerz in Jenni B Bleu.


The snowflakes are Pink Paislee City Sidewalks and I coated my Dusty Attic Motif chipboard in Stampendous Aged Embossing Powder in Scarlet, another non-winter item.


The metal Bo Bunny embellishments were painted with Luminarte Silks Acrylic paint in Blue Flame, coming soon to the Flying Unicorn Store.


For the swirls in the sketch, I wanted to keep mine light and airy, like blowing snow.  To accomplish this effect I drew swirls on my craftmat in hot glue and once it dried dabbed on Mix'd Media Inx in Jasmine.  I then peeled them from the craftmat and adhered them to my page using Glossy Accents.  Strange to adhere an adhesive, I know, but I didn't want to risk having them turn out wrong and be permanently adhered to my page.


In this photo you can see the texture on the inked cardstock.  Kaz at the Little Shabby Shed developed a great technique of using soap bubbles on distress ink she calls Bubbly Distress and I couldn't resist playing around.  This is just a small taste, but the effect is really neat.

I hope you'll stop by the Flying Unicorn Forum and play along with this week's sketch!

No comments: