Sunday, August 4, 2013

Play In The Sunshine - Part 2 {Flying Unicorn}

I'm posting while on vacation at my in-laws' rustic cabin in the woods - thank goodness for solar power and mobile tethering!  I have been scrapping on the wraparound deck 20 feet from the ocean by day and under lantern and candlelight at night (which makes color checking a bit challenging!) during those rare moments when the kids are happily occupied elsewhere.

Since Colby and I are up at 6:30 while the rest of the house is still asleep, I'm taking the opportunity to type up a post with two other projects created with the August Flying Unicorn kit of the month Play In The Sunshine.  There are less than 5 kits left, so hurry and get yours before it's gone.

This series of pictures of my middle son Brennan kicking a soccer ball into our friends' pool have been calling out to me to be used for the past 2 years.

I used Shona's Kroma Crackle BAP tutorial - if you've ever worked with Kroma Crackle you know it takes ages to dry; this technique cuts the drying time down considerably.  I started by misting my background with some contrasting Lindy's Stamp Gang colors, and mixed Broken China Distress Paint into the Kroma - a little goes a long way (5% acrylic paint to 95% Kroma) and the color doesn't dilute - before applying it to my page.  I laid it on thick to get the nice big cracks.


For some additional texture I used Simmerz Texturez in Patina and Teal Me No Lies and overlayed some of the mesh webbing from the kit right into the wet paint.


I also crumpled up the mesh to make dimensional clouds over Brennan's head.


The cute little Flying Unicorn Adornment butterfly was included in last month's Mid-Month Muse kit.


Another closeup of the gorgeous crackle.


Flying Unicorn kits are unique in that they each contain an Off-The-Page project. This month's OTP is a chest of 3 drawers from Kaisercraft. I assembled mine unpainted using Glossy Accents (if you paint it first the joints might swell, making assembly difficult), then primed it with black paint, then used Crackle Medium and off-white paint to get the aged effect I was after.


FabScraps' Classic papers were perfect for this project - love them!


I colored all of my Flying Unicorn Adornments using Black Alcohol Ink to coordinate them with the papers.


Well, all 3 kids are up and looking for breakfast, so it's time for me to sign off.  I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend - it's a long weekend here, hurrah!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your layout and OTP both turned out fabulous!! Loving the aged crackle look on your OTP!