Friday, January 3, 2014

Flying Unicorn January Kit Reveal - Part 2

There are some exciting changes to the Flying Unicorn Kit of the Month starting this month, but one staple remains unchanged, something that sets Flying Unicorn kits apart, and that is the inclusion of an off-the-page project in every kit. This month the kit includes a fantastic mixed media Finnabair art journal from Prima. Included in the Mixed Art add-on are Lindy's Stamp Gang mists and 13 Arts Gesso, and the Small Art, Big Passion add-on features Prima Vintage Vanity papers by Finnabair and Flying Unicorn laces and Adornments. I paired these with some Luminarte Silks, now available in the Flying Unicorn Store to create my art journal cover.



I coloured the outside edges of the journal with gold Silks, and added masking to the top using the 13 Arts gesso and Clearscraps mask over Primary Elements in Coral Berry. I then layered torn strips of Vintage Vanity papers for my background and started misting!


The Flying Unicorn Metal Adornments were painted with Silks; I also added touches to the clear resin pieces to help blend them.


I love the look of the black Venise lace in the kit, but it was too bold for my project. To achieve the sumptuous look below, I started by roughly covering it with gesso, and once that was dry I dabbed on Silks in Emperor's Gold and Vavoom Red.


To create my butterfly I cut apart the petal of one of the metal flowers for wings and layered one of the other metal pieces overtop.

I hope you've gotten your kit - if not, hurry over to the Flying Unicorn Store, they won't last long!

Supplies Used:

From the kit:

- Prima Art Journal
- ClearScraps Stencil: Shattered Glass
- 13 Arts Gesso
- Lindy's Stamp Gang Grab A Guy Gold
- Prima Vintage Vanity papers
- Flying Unicorn Black Venice Lace
- Flying Unicorn Metal Adornments
- Prima Candy Gums Berry

From my stash:

- Luminarte Silks: Emperor's Gold, Vavoom Red, Ginger Peach
- Luminarte Primary Elements: Coral Berry
- Gel Medium
- Prima 12x12 Checker Stencil
- Tim Holtz Distress Inks: Rusty Hinge, Vintage Photo
- Viva Pearl Pen: Sunny Yellow


2 comments:

Scraps of Elegance said...

Wow! Jackie! This is so awesome, I love all the textures and composition. I can't stop looking at it.

Varshitha said...

this is soooo cool Jakies…