Saturday, May 31, 2014

Flying Unicorn June Off-The-Page Project

What makes Flying Unicorn's kit of the month unique is the inclusion of an Off-The-Page project with every main kit. This month's OTP was something else - a small tin garden bench. I knew what I wanted to do with it from the get-go, but I was worried that the end result might not live up to my expectations. Luckily, everything worked out according to plan. Gotta love when that happens!

Here is my weathered garden bench:



I began by priming the frame of the bench with black paint, and painted the "wooden" slats with a wood-coloured glaze. Once everything was dry, I added rusting powder to areas of the frame to age it. At the finishing stages I added some 13 Arts Gesso to the frame and flowers (after all, every birdie poops).


Do you save the florist's wire you cut from your flowers? I do, and it was perfect as trailing vines for this project.


The resin birds were coloured using Prima Color Bloom sprays, which work perfectly on resin. I applied 3 different colours, starting with the lightest, and heat set each layer before adding the next. I then added a little shading with chalk edgers.


My little birdies needed some bird seed, and gold microbeads fit the bill.


The little nest is made from jute twine to give this little birdie somewhere to roost.


If you didn't have a chance to preorder your kit, be sure to pick one up before they're all gone - it's another stunner!

Supplies Used:

From The Kit:
- Tin bench
- 13 Arts Gesso

- Prima Resins: Fly Away
- Prima Color Bloom sprays: Tea Stain, Gold Foil, Worn Leather
- Prima Chalk Edgers: Black Coal, Old Road
- Rusting Powder
- Kaisercraft Mini Blooms: Pink
- Prima Lifetime metal frames


No comments: