Sunday, August 10, 2014

Blue Fern Studios - 3 Boys

Hello Bloggers! I am stopping in today to share the first of my Blue Fern Studios projects for August.

We are experiencing an amazing summer here on the West Coast of Canada, and the long, hot, sunny days, and the sunshine and blue skies inspired the colours for this first layout. I scrapped this while at the cabin, by the light of two propane lanterns, and was loving the effect of the blue, green, and soft buttery yellow. That is until I woke up and saw the background in the light of day and realized what looked butter yellow under the yellow light of the lanterns was in reality highlighter yellow (I guess I should have known better, since the Gelato is called Lemon). Fortunately, with a little blue stamping, some flicks of black mist and some strong black resin accents to ground the photo I managed to save the whole thing.


One of the things I love about Blue Fern's panels is the ability to cut them apart into pieces that I can spread throughout my layouts. For this layout I started with the Number Grid Small, which I primed with Gelatos then coloured randomly in blue, yellow and mint green, and cut apart into one big piece to back my photo and two smaller pieces for my corners.


These little bits look good embellished with flowers or just on their own.


On both of my layouts this month I've layered on several layers of chipboard. Because chipboard is so lightweight and can be altered in so many ways, it is easy to make a striking composition using several different pieces without adding a lot of bulk. On top of the Number Grid I placed some of the Techno Rings. To get the water-stained effect, I first sprayed the rings with Prima Color Bloom mists in Gold Foil and Worn Leather, then stamped overtop with a Kaisercraft number stamp.


For my last layer, the title, I cut one of the 3s out of the Number Grid and cut the "Boys" from the Boys Will Be Boys chippy.


Blue Fern Studios Products

Ombre Dreams papers: 
- Ginger's Dream
- Charlotte's Dream
- Susan's Dream
- Shannon's Dream

Blue Fern Studios Chipboard:
- Number Grid Small
- Techno Rings
- Boys Will Be Boys

Thank you for stopping in today!

No comments: