Monday, December 1, 2014

Flying Unicorn December - Daddy's Hockey Star

Do you sometimes have a project that comes together around one embellishment, one spark of inspiration? That was the case with this layout, and the inspiration came from some wooden ATCs from Prima included in the Flying Unicorn December Your Passion, Your Art Mixed Passion kit. While turning the piece with the triangles (cut in two as a photo mount) in my hands one night and wondering what to do with it, I decided to try to colour it with my Copic markers to see how it would look.


I loved the effect when I had finished colouring, but wanted to add a shiny finish, and some contrast. I rubbed an embossing ink pad over the raised areas (the triangles) then coated the ATC with clear embossing powder, being sure to knock off the loose granules. Once it had cooled I sprayed on some black mist, letting it pool in the recessed areas.



The flowered ATC was a little more difficult to work with; I cut vertical lines into it using a craft knife, to prevent bleeding between colours, and after I had finished embossing and misting I emphasized these lines with a white poster pen.

I then set out to create a vibrant layout with the ATCs as a centrepiece. I layered bits of paper on the page, then scraped over heavy black gesso. I outlined the original strips with a white pencil crayon, then added some of the grey weave from the kit, and some masking with molding paste topped off with the sprays from the kit and a blue Gelato. Some additional stenciling with gesso, splatters of the awesome 13 Arts Splatter Ink in white and black (it doesn't soak into the paper but sits on top of it!), and I was ready to embellish.

Thank you so much for stopping in today. If you haven't had a chance to get your kit yet, stop by the Flying Unicorn Store to see if there are any left. Don't forget our handy preorder option, so you can order the kits and add-ons you want on a month to month basis without the commitment of being locked into a kit club - you can find the information on that handy option here.

Supplies Used:

From the Kit:

- Prima Wooden ATCs - Lovely Prints
- 13 Arts Cosy Evening - Tender Morning, Winter Letters
- Trims: Grey webbing, red grosgrain, black lace
- Lindy's Stamp Gang - I'm Late, I'm Late Slate
- 13 Arts Mists: Chalk Woodbine and Pastel Antique Cream
- 13 Arts Stencil: Shapes - Flying
- Prima Epiphany Flowers: Bombshell (578831), Realization (578879)
- Prima Cigar Box Secrets Cork Stickers
- Prima Epiphany Cork Stickers
- Prima Epiphany Wood Icons In A Box
- 13 Arts Splash Ink: Black

From My Stash:

- Copic Markers
- Stampendous Embossing Powder - Clear
- Versamark Watermark Ink Pad
- 13 Arts Mist - Pastel Black
- Sharpie Poster Pen - Fine White
- 13 Arts Gel Medium
- Prima Heavy Gesso - Black
- Liquitex Light Modeling Paste
- Liquitex Gesso: Clear, Super Heavy White
- Prima 12x12 Stencil
- Prima Color Bloom: Summer Sky
- Faber-Castell Gelatos: Blueberry
- 13 Arts Splash Ink: White

No comments: