Sunday, May 8, 2016

Prima February Sketch layout

If you're wondering if you read that right, you did; looking for inspiration I went back through some old sketches I'd saved for such a purpose, and this one from Prima's February BAP challenge caught my fancy.


The picture is one of my favourites of my beautiful sister Emily drinking wine in Greece. I combined fussy cut papers, flowers, resin swirls and leaves to loosely emulate the heart shape from the sketch.


I started with a lot of background work to fill in the area covered by the circle in the sketch, adding stenciling with light modeling paste and then misting overtop with Peony mist. I found that the stenciling was getting lost in the background paper, so added some outlining in Storm Cloud Color Bloom with a very fine paint brush, as you can see in the photo below. I also added some resist canvas borders colored with Color Bloom sprays, and then liberally splattered the background.


I wanted to use the resin swirls as the focal points, top and bottom, for my heart shape, so I needed them to stick out. To accomplish this, I misted them with Color Bloom Spray in Summer Sky and Cobalt, and once that was dry used Artisan Powder in Vausseroux to highlight the depressions.


The "Happy" arrow from the Say It In Crystals Words added a nice finishing touch to the photo, along with a Typewriter Key paperclip and little wooden bird.

This is one of those layouts that just makes me feel happy. The trip we were on represents a pause in an incredibly difficult time in our lives, as our dad's health was declining and we were stealing ourselves for the painful months to come. Greece was an escape for us all, Dad included, and I cherish our photos from that trip.

Thank you for stopping by! I hope you had a chance to do something fun for yourself on International Scrapbook Day. Our day was jam-packed with baseball with the kids, but I did manage to get some crafty time for myself after they were all in bed.

Prima Supplies

Papers
Garden Fable: Lover Momentos, Birdhouse
Engraver: Cartouche

Media
Chalk Ink: Black Coal, Old Road, Shabby Tote
Artisan Powder: Vausseroux
Color Bloom: Yellow Mustard, Gold Foil, Boysenberry,
Cobalt, Summer Sky, Storm Cloud, Peony
Art Basics: Light Modeling Paste

Embellishments
Resist Canvas Borders
Resin Swirls (892487)
Say It In Crystals Words (570446)
Something Blue Paperclips (573058)
Wood Icons In A Box: Birds

Flowers
Soprano E (561659)
Manhattan: Fifth Avenue (577667)
Nikko: Michio (582067)
Capistrano: Smoothie (577407)
Royal Menagerie: Maud (583361)

Stencil
Doily 12x12


No comments: